Getting pregnant can be a beautiful time in a couple’s life. However, sometimes getting pregnant can take some time, and you may face issues in getting pregnant. These issues can either be treat by a gynaecologist or a fertility doctor. It might need to be clarify as to whom to make an appointment. Let’s read this article, discussing what these doctors do individually and then comparing how they can help you. Further, you can then book a doctor online to consult with an infertility specialist in Kolkata.
Who is a Fertility doctor?
A fertility doctor is a medical specialist who diagnoses and treats issues relate to fertility. For example, they help people who have been unsuccessful in trying to have a baby. Further, they treat fertility-related problems in both males and females.
Some common infertility conditions treat by a infertility specialist in Kolkata are hormonal disorders, ovulation problems, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), age or weight-related infertility, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, fibroids, azoospermia, abnormal sperm production, and fertility-related to certain genetic conditions.
A fertility doctor has further studied after specialising in obstetricians and gynaecologists. In addition, they have continued their education in endocrinology and infertility.
Reasons why you should visit an infertility specialist in Kolkata
- You are not able to get pregnant even after 12 months of trying to get pregnant.
- You are 35 years and older and have been trying to get pregnant for 6 months without birth control.
- Your spouse struggles to maintain or achieve an erection.
- You have experienced three or more miscarriages.
- You have irregular periods, no periods, or heavy bleeding.
- You or your partner have previously been diagnose with sexually transmitted diseases.
- You have a chronic condition.
If facing any of the above issues, contact an infertility specialist in Kolkata.
Who is a Gynaecologist?
Gynaecologists are medical doctors that diagnose and treat conditions specific to women. They use treatment methods like medical, hormonal and surgical treatments. Some gynaecologists specialise in treating cancer of the female reproductive system, reproductive endocrinology, infertility specialist, urogynaecologist and obstetrics and gynaecology ultrasound specialist.
Some reasons why you should visit a gynaecologist include the following
- Pain in the lower abdomen.
- Irregular, heavy periods or other period problems.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or pain.
- Contraception, fertility issues, or family planning
- Issues related to the pelvic floor
- Menopause-related issues
- Cancer-related to the cervix, ovaries, or uterus
- Hormone replacement therapy
Further, you can then book a doctor online to consult with an infertility specialist in Kolkata.
Fertility Doctor vs Gynaecologist
You have now read about what a gynaecologist and fertility specialist can do. However, you may also have notice that some of their work can overlap. Further, you may need clarification about whom to visit for your infertility issues. Here are some things you can consider following before deciding.
- Your first visit can be to a gynaecologist in your fertility treatment journey. They will do some preliminary fertility-related tests.
- It is noted by the National Infertility Association that a common problem for couples trying and failing to conceive is a lack of knowledge related to the time of intercourse with the ovulation phase. You can book a doctor online and he’ll provide you knowledge about what should be the best time for intercourse.
- An over-the-counter urinary test, also known as the ovulation predictor test, can be done for this issue. However, your gynaecologist will do other tests to check for factors that may affect your fertility.
- You should consider getting evaluated if you have been trying to get pregnant for a year and have not been able to conceive. Furthermore, you should get evaluated if you are 35 years and older and have been trying for 6 months.
- If the evaluation test results point to a different underlying issue, such as uterine fibroids or pelvic inflammatory disease, you should consider visiting a fertility specialist.
- Another reason to see an infertility specialist is that your partner’s semen analysis results are abnormal and if they have a low sperm count.
- Any other issues like erectile dysfunction can also be accessed by an infertility specialist in Kolkata. They would further recommend your partner to a urologist if require to treat conditions relate to male fertility.
In conclusion, a major difference between an infertility specialist and a gynaecologist is that your fertility doctor can treat both male and female issues that cause infertility. On the other hand, a gynaecologist will only focus on the overall women’s reproductive health. A fertility specialist will also develop a more individualise treatment strategy for your infertility problems that is specific to you.
In conclusion, now you have a comprehensive idea about how a gynaecologist can help you and how a fertility doctor can help you. You can use this information to help you decide whom to visit based on where you are in your fertility journey. If you have issues regarding fertility or have risk factors that may be associate with infertility, contact an infertility specialist in Kolkata. You can also use Bajaj Finserv Health to book a doctor online for a consultation.
Go to homepage